author Call Us: (313) 846-0960

Compare Listings

Report: 40 percent of Detroit millennials are homeowners

Report: 40 percent of Detroit millennials are homeowners

We’ve talked about owning vs. renting in Detroit, and clearly, many opt on the owning side. The allure of cheaper-than-normal real estate is appealing, but comes with many obstacles in Detroit (the price of renovations, difficulty with financing, high taxes). Still, a new report shows that for millennials, who typically have a low-ownership rate, have a higher ownership rate in Detroit compared to other areas.

For the study, Abodo used information from the U.S. Census Bureau’s 2015 American Community Survey (the most recent data available). Homeowners in the 18 to 35 age bracket were included. The Detroit metro area (Detroit, Dearborn, Warren) was used in the analysis.

Sam Rabdil, spokesman for Abodo, explains,

“In Detroit, specifically, our report shows that only 40.2% of Millennials own homes. On the other end of the spectrum, 59.8% of Detroit Millennials are renters. These numbers in Detroit are on the high end for homeownership by Millennials, when compared to the rest of the country. The city ranks No. 19 overall in terms of cities with the most Millennial homeowners. Detroit ranks No. 2 for Millennial homeownership, when compared to the largest cities in the U.S.”

The study determined that the average millennial in Detroit would have to save for 8.5 years in order to afford a down payment on a home. This again is low compared to other cities (does someone in LA really have to save for 28.7 years?).

The average value of a Millennial-owned home in Detroit is $148,404.

Another Michigan city ranked even higher overall. Over 45% of Grand Rapids millennials own their home.


The full report can be found here.

Related posts

Weekly mortgage applications drop 0.5%, but jumbo loans get cheaper

Weekly mortgage applications drop 0.5%, but jumbo loans get cheaperOverall mortgage applications to purchase a home fell 2 percent for the week.They remain 9 percent higher than the same week one year ago.Perhaps it is the August lull or the start of a more prolonged slowdown in the housing market, but homeowners and homebuyers seem [...]

Continue reading

How to Sell and Buy a Home in a Seller’s Market

Homeowners in a seller’s market face a conundrum: on the one hand, their home is worth more than it has ever been before, but on the other hand, if they decide to sell it and buy a new one, they’re going to face stiff competition, high prices and a market where homes are selling in [...]

Continue reading

New reports show low office vacancy, billions invested in Downtown Detroit

We’ve seen more construction in the last few years in Detroit than we’ve seen here in...

Continue reading